Principal Software Engineer Full-time Job1 year ago - Architect / Engineering - Redmond - 164 views
The Windows Currency team is responsible for keeping 2+ billion Windows devices up-to-date every day by creating experiences that ship with latest version of Windows OS, engage hundreds of millions of users, and drive update and upgrade customer satisfaction.
We aim to provide a silent experience to 99% of users of our Intelligent Edge devices while offering control to the power users that really want it. We build the service that powers the orchestration of Windows updates on the client.
We play a key role in the Windows as a Service (WaaS) story. With WaaS, our goal is for customers to be able to obtain feature and quality updates on a predictable cadence and with no impact to their existing Windows experience.
We are looking for an expert software engineer that has a passion for delivering a world-class design and implementation that powers the update service. You will have the opportunity to impact every Windows user by rebuilding the service and modernizing the update stack. You will collaborate with other experienced engineers to deliver a seamless and flexible update platform driven by control from the Cloud.
Finally, you will have a wealth of data at your fingertips, provided by our Data Analysis team, that will help you understand how our users are interacting with our features and how we can fine tune those features to deliver a silent by default with control by choice experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop world class software that scales and is maintainable over many releases, and is a foundation for building future functionality
- Collaborate with team and across product groups to deliver end-to-end functionality
- Make strong investments in test assets to provide an automated testing experience
- 10+ year(s) industry programming, software engineering, and/or software development experience.
- Extensive experience designing and implementing multiple large-scale software systems with a track record of success – and long- lasting frameworks and designs.
- Track record demonstrating excellent collaboration skills across product groups to deliver end-to-end experiences
- BS/BA in computer science, or equivalent in related technical experience
- Experience in developing, debugging, and maintaining code in object oriented languages (C++ required.)
- Expertise in API Design, exceptional coding, debugging, design, implementation and problem-solving skills.
- Passion for improving software quality, performance, and reliability through engineering excellence.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, agile development environment and can multitask fluidly
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away