Software Development Manager - AWS - RDS Full-time Job1 year ago - Software / QA / DBA - Vancouver - 300 views
We're a team within the Relational Database Service, one of the fastest growing businesses within AWS. We're looking for a seasoned, talented software engineering manager in Vancouver. Our service provides managed, reliable, scalable, and highly available relational databases, on demand. We minimize the effort required to maintain relational databases by automating administrative tasks like backup / restore, scaling CPU / RAM / storage and replication / failover for high availability, allowing our customers to spend their valuable time focused on building their businesses.
For more information about RDS, please visit http://aws.amazon.com/rds.
You have a passion for software development and are ready to help guide this team forward - you're comfortable with Linux technology, have strong experience writing code in more than one language (including Java) and are able to understand new ones as needed. You can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen production code fail (and fixed) in spectacular ways - and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different than taking it personally and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger.
You've written and/or released lots of software, shipped products and contributed to platforms, tools, and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and to grow.
Who are you? You're the new Software Development Manager joining us at RDS. We work hard, have fun, and make history - let's go play.
What You'll Do
- Mentor and manage a team of software developers including their projects and performance
- Deliver project roadmap on time / in spec, communicating clearly with team, management, and stakeholders
- Work with other managers and team members to estimate effort and document scope / design
- Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process, and development discussions
- Distill and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders
- Argue for the right outcomes with data, conviction, and diplomacy
Things We Like About You
- You have at least 3 years of experience managing software developers
- You are experienced with more than one of Java, C/C++, C#, Ruby, shell scripting or other
- You are experienced (but need not be expert) with database technology
- You are a generalist familiar with more than one SDLC process, language, framework, platform and environment and are capable of diving into the deepest parts of technologies when called for
- You understand networking, network programming, network-oriented design patterns, distributed computing, and best practices related to same
- You have excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- You have an understanding of and experience with common bug / task tracking, requirements tracking, traceability and test automation tools
Desirable experience (i.e. "Stuff that will impress us"):
- Your written and spoken English are excellent
- DBMS administration and / or architecture
- Developing or managing in extremely busy, highly scalable, highly available mission-critical distributed environments
- Deep experience with SQL / NoSQL databases
- Hands-on experience with AWS APIs and services